[Sca-cooks] Seeking salmon recipe

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 08:13:53 PDT 2011

Really? No salmon in NZ prior to European contact? Pacific salmon and Atlantic salmon are, as I understand it, different speicies and we've got Pacific salmon on this side of the Pacific. I would think the conditions in NZ would be good for salmon too and that the Pacific variety would have made it over their on their own without human assistance. Just a bit suprised at that.

Juana Isabella
West

Oh heck, I don't know exactly who we got it from--my point wwas just
that it *has* spread a lot further than Scandinavia.

No, the Maori did not fish for salmon pre-European contact.  Salmon and
dill were both introduced from Europe.