[Sca-cooks] Seeking salmon recipe

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 22 12:18:17 PDT 2011

Juana Isabella wrote:

 >Really? No salmon in NZ prior to European contact? Pacific salmon and
 >Atlantic salmon are, as I understand it, different speicies and we've
 >got Pacific salmon on this side of the Pacific. I would think the
 >conditions in NZ would be good for salmon too and that the Pacific
 >variety would have made it over their on their own without human
 >assistance. Just a bit suprised at that.

Wikipedia indicates that Pacific Salmon can be found in countries such
as Russia, Japan, and Korea.  It also says, "Salmon and trout with
ranges generally in waters draining to the Pacific Ocean are members of
the genus. Their range extends from Beringia southwards, roughly to
Japan in the west and Mexico to the east."

That sort of sounds like there weren't/aren't Pacific salmon south of
the equator.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming