[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 25 19:16:51 PDT 2011

Maredudd asked:
<<< What distinction was made in period, if there was one made,
between the different varieties of cinnamon?

Can someone point me in a direction for research? >>>

We have previously talked about the differences between Cassia and
True Cinnamon. I can't remember the details off the top of my head,
although I think much of our conversations are in these files in the
PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium:
cinnamon-msg      (28K)  1/10/08  Period cinnamon. Types of cinnamon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/cinnamon-msg.html

Cinnamon-Vari-art  (9K) 12/29/99  "Cinnamon Varieties" by Francesco
Sirene.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/Cinnamon-Vari-art.html

One of the items I often have in my New World/Old World Food Game at
demos is a package of actual true cinnamon, which allows me to get
into the fact that most of the powdered cinnamon sold in the US is
really cassia, and lets people actually see what the unground cinnamon
looks like. And bring up that Menniger of Paris recommends to his new
wife to buy whole spices to avoid adulteration, and even today that
whole spices last longer.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com