[Sca-cooks] cultural context

Beth Harper lyndyn29 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 20:46:48 PDT 2011

Hi! I'm delurking with a request for book suggestions.

I'm doing my first solo feast in February, after years of doing
individual dishes/courses/meals, mostly under other cooks but also for
potlucks and so forth. I think I have a good handle on medieval
*cookery* - redacting, techniques, flavor profiles, etc. - but the
more I get into this research, the more I realize I'm lacking a
grounding in *food culture* - order of service, dining practices,
food-related ritual, religious and superstitious beliefs, what dishes
would (or would never) be served with what others, aesthetics of
presentation, etc. Big picture stuff.

The feast is 13c. Catalan (Sent Sovi is my main source, and it's got a
little bit of this stuff in the preface, but just not enough).
Material specifically about Spain would be SUPER AWESOME, but an
broader view of Western Europe would be lovely too. Where should I
start?

Thanks so much!

Liepa Jonaskaite
Incipient Shire of Villaleon,