[Sca-cooks] cultural context & Photos from PPF2

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 12:46:32 PDT 2011

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:21:27 -0400 Robin Carroll-Mann <rcarrollmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Raphaella DiContini <raphaellad at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> When you work on these Perfectly Period Feasts, as well as others do
>>  you tend to work as an individual guiding a team of volunteers they gather
>>  themselves, as guilds, or as some combination of the two?
>>
> You will have to ask Juana.  Though I (mostly) lurked on the Yahoo
> Group for the event, I was just a guest with a camera, and not one of
> the planners or workers.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain

Raphaella also posted her question to the An Tir Culinary list (where I lurk) and I posted this answer:

"For the first one Crystal was in charge of pretty much everything. This drove
her crazy so there was more delegating for the second one.

The benches were made in a couple of day long workshops in an assembly line
fashion. Each bench was "sponsored" by someone and that person became the owner
of the bench after the event.

The spoons were made over the course of a couple of workshops.

The painted pottery for the first one was made by Matt & Crystal at a paint your
own pot place. We had lots more pottery for the second one, so we had a local
potter throw blanks, then had painting workshops and the potter then took them
back for firing.

Some of the linens were hemmed by various members of the group and some are
Historic Enterprises pieces.

The West isn't too keen on formal guilds so we weren't organized along those
lines. This whole thing has been described as the "PPF Movement" and that really
is accurate. It is a community of people who agree that this sort of thing is
cool and worth the effort so we work collectively, but rather informally (i.e.
without structure) to make it happen.

Oh, as for storage and distribution of much of the material culture, we often
give each other totally cool 12th Night gifts (the pots, spoons, glassware,
etc.) with the understanding that the stuff will come back to be used for the
next PPF :-)

The next one is planned for sometime in 2013 and will be 1580's Ferrara.

Juana Isabella"

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:06:21 -0500 "Terry Decker" <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:

> Sorry I'll miss it.  I've a couple of trips to St. Golias scheduled, but
> nothing in February.  Walsenburg would be close enough for a quick jaunt.
>
> Bear

You could come to the West Coast Culinary Symposium in February :-)
Yup, it is a bit farther, but it will be fun.

Juana Isabella