[Sca-cooks] Handy Food Expiration Guides

Dan Schneider schneiderdan at ymail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:43:03 PDT 2012

Not necessarily. I keep my gallon jug out on the counter because it won't fit in the fridge, but I also have a jar that holds a pint or so that I strain into and keep in the fridge. The stuff on the counter does get some mold eventually, while with the strained syrup in the fridge, it doesn't come back. Chrystalisation seems to be more a factor of the jar being nearly empty and then refilled; it seems the more often I refill the jar, the more chrystals I get. Besides, chrystals aren't a problem, just heat the syrup container in a water bath and they melt back into the syrup.

Dan