[Sca-cooks] to eat or not to eat

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Aug 18 21:39:18 PDT 2012

On 8/18/2012 9:24 PM, Aruvqan wrote:

> You do what it takes to keep your kids alive. Cat, pigeon, dog, the
> fish out of the public fountain. Parents have been going without food
> or finding 'alternate sources' of food for thousands of years. That is
> part of what being a parent is all about.
>
> Not that I propose eating the family pets, but I would have no issue
> with waking Rob up tomorrow morning and telling him to go out and
> bring back something dead and reasonably edible. [I would hesitate at
> raptors and outright carnivores, but a plump rabbit, raccoon or
> opossum, or a brace of squirrels, or a brace of dove would be just fine.

When I was pregnant with my son (he's 26 now), we hit a particularly
desperate time financially, and we also had a little girl to feed. So
the kids' dad borrowed a trip from his brother, and every day, he'd walk
down to the creek in the morning, and after work in the evening he'd
bring it up. So we ate crawfish for, I forget, 2 or 3 months. I did
everything I could think of with them, and I know they were good
protein, but I grew to hate them. Hated the clickety-clackety noises
they made in the pot, hated cleaning them and breaking them up and
picking out the meat. But it was food.

Really was rather surprised though, when Stephen arrived with hands and
not claws.

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: