[Sca-cooks] Lent is coming!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Feb 19 08:08:24 PST 2012

Brezel seems to refer more to the shape than the construction.
Laugenbrezel, for example, are dipped in a lye solution before baking rather
than being boiled.  Fastenbrezel are a form of boiled preztel prepared for
Lent.  There are gingerbread pretzels, filled pretzels, pretzels for
sandwiches and some curious pretzels prepared for Fasching (carnival).
Limiting the term pretzel to those that are boiled before baking seems
somewhat arbitrary and possibly an error, especially when talking about the
German Brezel.

Bear