[Sca-cooks] Dessert/subtlety ideas

Tre trekatz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 22:39:51 PST 2012

I'm cooking feast for Drachenwald's Crown Tourney at the end of this month. I have most of the menu worked out, but am still lacking a subtlety or any kind of dessert. Their Majesties are doing landsknecht at the event, so the feast is late-period. I'm not sticking strictly to German foods, on the theory that landsknecht, being mercenaries, traveled quite a bit and may have picked up favorite dishes from other countries.

As an extra incentive to do a nice dessert of some sort...it's my daughter's 13th birthday that same weekend. Her birthday is actually Sunday, the day after the feast, but I'm hoping to work something out with the royals to "royally" embarrass her for her birthday, as well. (My daughter has been active in the SCA for a good portion of her life, and started actively volunteering at events, including regular retinue duty, about three years ago. She spends a great deal of her time at events either in the kitchen or being a Lady in Waiting to whoever is reigning at the time.)

So, does anyone have an idea for something that might double as a medieval birthday cake, while being appropriate for a Crown tourney feast?