[Sca-cooks] Re: Torta reform

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Tue Mar 6 11:16:25 PST 2012

On Tue Mar 6 10:48:50 PST 2012, Louise Smithson (helewyse at yahoo.com) wrote:

> Possa is from Potere - to be able to (can or may),

I know that this is what it means in standard modern spelling, but I
don't see what sense this has in context. My question is whether there
is any other word that might have been meant.

> l' uva passa ben lavata - dried grapes well washed (lavata from lavare to wash)

My understanding is that "wash" and "rinse" are both valid
translations of "lavata", so I prefer "rinse". My question is whether
this might mean "rinse in hot water and let stand in the water". In
other words, plump in water.

> Looking at it now it seems to have a strong similarity with recipes that are the precurser of baklava . . .

Torta in baclovata!!! :-)

--
Henry/Alex