[Sca-cooks] handicapped services carts at Pennsic

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Wed Mar 7 00:20:49 PST 2012

I forgot to address this

> Has the number of handicapped folks at Pennsic taken a sudden leap upward?

Oh yes. Majorly. And often, now, it's not so much someone with mobility
issues as it can frequently be someone who expects a ride for themselves and
their battery (for a CPAP machine) to and from the charging station. I
cannot even estimate how many folks are now using one of those. Our
electrical needs at the charging station has (I believe, going from memory
of last year) doubled and even that wasn't enough.

As a Society, we're aging. And yet we all still love Pennsic enough to
continue attending. But how many of us, now, out of the SCA population have
no problems walking long distances over uneven ground? And in the way of
things, the campground itself has gotten larger, while our instructors for
University (for example) are older than they once were and at the same time,
are able to offer classes that require more than a sheet of paper and paying
attention.

If I were able to, which I assure you I am not, I'd see about renting one of
those tram-things specifically for the University - and schedule trips to
pick up (pre-signed up) instructors every two or three hours, each day until
the last class time. Specifically for instructors only, controlled by the
University chancellor, and rented *only* for the days when it is open. And
if I could even come close to arranging such a thing, I'd work on some sort
of fundraising effort so its funds would not be dependent on the event
budget.

Hrothny