[Sca-cooks] Venison . . .

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Fri Mar 9 00:35:17 PST 2012

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:59:51 -0500
From: James Davis <firedrake at earthlink.net>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Venison . . .

I have acquired 5 lbs of venison "pieces" that I wanted to saute' and serve
over wild and brown rice. My fiancee didn't like my original plan for onions
and mushrooms. I expect another 5 lbs. of tenderloin next week (my local
butcher is a hunter, and can't sell the venison, even though he has it
professionally butchered, so he gives it to loyal customers -- it's one of
the things I DO like about small-town Kentucky).

Any ideas for seasoning and/or sides?

Thanks,

Jared
Mmmmm....free venison. Someone is giving us 20kg of free venison for my next
feast. I love it when that sort of thing happens.
Aside from the other suggestions I would add bacon, or bacon-like things
(pancetta or prosciutto etc). It helps with the leanness of the meat as well
as adding salty bacony flavours. Although I'm not sure how that would fit
with your diet.

Also redcurrant jelly.

Angharad