[Sca-cooks] OT: A new Florilegium format. Files in PDF format.

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 11 20:08:49 PDT 2012

When folks have submitted articles to me in PDF format, for a number
of years I have been translating these into Word formatted files.  All
of the master files have been kept in Word format.

Unfortunately, the resulting reformatting often suffered because of
inconsistencies between the Word, PDF and HTML formats. It also took
considerable time to create a Word formatted file that matched that of
the original PDF file. Some articles are still unpublished, because I
couldn't create such a file.

I am now trying a different track by publishing these articles
presented in PDF format, in PDF format with the usual Florilegium
style header and copyright notices added, which among other things,
allows me to keep the internal links to other suggested Florilegium
files. Until I can create a python program for it though, all the
links will have to be inserted by hand.

At one time I stayed away from using PDF formatted files because the
search engines couldn't scan them for searches, and because I felt
they were much more difficult for newsletter editors to use for
creating articles for their newsletters. In the last decade this has
changed some.

Here is the first file that I've created with my new methodology. It
doesn't happen to be on food, but I'm hoping that some of you, would
take a look at it and let me know if they like or dislike this format
and if they have problems with it or not.

In the CRAFTS section:
Mk-Pole-Lathe-art  (7pg) 3/11/12  "Making and Using a Pole Lathe" by
Lowrens
                                      Wilyamson.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Mk-Pole-Lathe-art.pdf

Since with this method, I can no longer obtain the number of
characters as a size, these files will be shown as the number of
pages, rather than the size of the text file in characters.

At this time files that are in Word format such as the various message
(-msg) files or articles submitted to me in Word format or that are in
a very generic format, will still be published in HTML format (as well
as probably text and Word/RTF formats).

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------