[Sca-cooks] Substitution of nuts in qanura of rabbit

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Mar 13 06:32:41 PDT 2012

>However, I cannot stand walnuts - they taste bitter to me, even in
>sweets like baklava - and am wondering if a cook would have
>substituted other nuts - almonds or pistachios or pine nuts, to
>their own taste.

Have you tried blanching the walnuts to remove the thin brown outer
skin?  It's rather a nuisance, but that's where some of the bitter
taste is.

Add walnuts to a pot of boiling water, remove the pot from the heat
and let stand for 2 minutes, then drain. Rub with a towel to remove
the skins.

If you end up substituting, make sure your A&S entry says why you did
the substitution.

Ranvaig