[Sca-cooks] Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq feast - recipe frustration

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 13 17:40:32 PDT 2012

I'm still constructing my menu for my Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq feast. I'm hitting one tough spot. Fruit syrups for beverages.

ISaW only includes recipes for wine and beer (can't provide alcoholic drinks for an SCA feast), near beer (not my area of expertise and really time and space consuming), and a range of more medicinal beverages. Some involved fruit bases, but they are not general beverages. He recommends sakajubin and jullab at the end of the feast, so they're do-able.

I know that fruit syrups were drunk at this time, but i don't have a handy reference for which ones. There are quite a few fruit syrup recipes in the much later Andalusian cookbook - some but not all medicinal. There is a huge list from 15th and 16th c. Ottoman documents.

So, does anyone know of a source from the same time as ISaW (9th & 10th c.) that mentions what fruits were used to make beverage syrups?

Thanks,
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)