[Sca-cooks] Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq feast - recipe frustration

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 13 20:00:57 PDT 2012

I would go through the book and observe what fruits and herbs were
listed and use those as a simple syrup base.  Date, fig, pomegranate,
lemon are mentioned in various contexts.  Then there is that tale by
badi' al-Zaman al-Hamadhani about how 'Isa "treated" his good friend
'Abu Zaid' to a great meal and then went off in search of ice water,
sticking 'Abu Zaid' with the check.    ["What to order in Ninth Century
Baghdad' essay by Charles Perry, in MEDIEVAL ARAB COOKERY.]

Yep, we just documented ice water.

Cheers,
Selene C.