[Sca-cooks] Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq feast - recipe frustration

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Mar 14 02:26:26 PDT 2012

You could go with a lemonade which traces to Egypt according to
Clifford  Wright. I wrote in my article "Orange and Lemon Drinks of
Summer"
  that
"Clifford Wright who is the author a number of popular Mediterranean
cookbooks has a “History of Lemonade” posted on his website. He writes:
"It appears that the all-American summer drink, lemonade, may have had
its origin in medieval Egypt. Although the lemon originates farther to
the east, and lemonade may very well have been invented in one of the
eastern countries, the earliest written evidence of lemonade comes
from Egypt. The first reference to the lemon in Egypt is in the
chronicles of the Persian poet and traveler Nasir-i-Khusraw
(1003-1061?), who left a valuable account of life in Egypt under the
Fatamid caliph al-Mustansir (1035-1094). The trade in lemon juice was
quite considerable by 1104. We know from documents in the Cairo
Geniza--records of the medieval Jewish community in Cairo from the
tenth through thirteenth centuries--that bottles of lemon juice,
qatarmizat, were made with lots of sugar and consumed locally and
exported.""

Looks like 11th century and not 10th, but it would be another
possibility. The new book Food and Foodways of Medieval Cairenes:
Aspects of Life in an Islamic Metropolis of the Eastern Mediterranean
also lists some others. Let me check and see what it says and get back
to you about others.
Clifford Wright’s version of lemonade’s history may be found on his
web page http://www.cliffordawright.com/history/lemonade.html

  Johnnae