[Sca-cooks] Peach butter

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Mon Mar 26 12:31:02 PDT 2012

Coming out in the next issue of PPC is an article on "The Hidden Recipes of Bartolemeo Sacchi".
In it there are a few references to peaches.
I have included one below and there is another where you cook them in wine until soft and serve them as a last course following the meat.
Eduardo

These directions, although often incomplete and sometimes confusing are definitely “recipes”. To underscore this further we only need to look at Platina’s own words when he describes how to preserve peaches in BK II #12, “De Persico”[1]. He tells the cook to brine them overnight, place them in a jar with salt, vinegar and savory. “Fresh ones” he says, “can be preserved by this recipe”[2].

[1] On Peaches – Milham, page 148

[2] Milham, page 151

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.net