[Sca-cooks] bitter orange recipes

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Mar 27 09:24:47 PDT 2012

>Nope, any are fine. As I say, I've  no
>experience with cooking with them, so any ideas
>of what to do with them will be helpfull.
>Dan

Btw, if you do juice the oranges, save the peels too

I haven't tried these, but they sound good.  From Rumpolt:

Kalb 40. To roast veal leg.  Do not lard it/ and
when it is roasted/ then let it become cold/ and
when it is cold/ then stud it with a Seville
orange/ and cut the orange wide/ and nicely thin/
and stud it with it (stick pieces of the orange
peel into the meat)/ and when it is nearly time
to dress it/ then dress it nicely dry/ but if you
have sour lemons/ that are fresh/ then roll it on
a clean table/ that it becomes light and soft/
cut the lemons apart/ and press it over the veal
leg/ that is studded with Seville orange/ then it
will be well tasting and good.

Fasan 1. A pheasant roasted warm with a sweet
Pobrat sauce.  Take wine/ likewise also a little
vinegar/ saffron/ cinnamon and Seville orange
sliced in it/ sour lemon or citron made well
sweet/ and let boil up with it/ that it becomes
thick from sugar/ like this it becomes good and
also well tasting.

Kappaun 8.  Karwenada (Carbonados) from the
capon.  Take the capon/ pull the skin off/
dismember thighs and wings from it/ beat with a
knife back/ salt and pepper it/ lay it on a
grill/ and roast it quickly away/ baste it with
hot bacon (with bacon fat??)/ and when you will
dress it/ then pour a nice brown broth over it/
or peel a Seville orange/ that is sour/ nicely
wide and thin/ lay it nicely on the carbonados/
and press the juice from the Seville orange on
it/ and let it be soon carried onto a table/
while it is warm/ like this it is good and
elegant.

Zugehörung 5. Sour Seville orange juice. When one
presses out the Seville orange/ one mixes the
juice with cinnamon and sugar/ given cold to the
roast/ is good and well tasting.
(This is a sauce to serve with a roast).

Hammel 24. .... And of this form prepares one the
pobrat/ Take wine/ vinegar/ cinnamon/ saffron/
and fairly much sugar/ that it becomes thick/ and
let it simmer together/ and if you will have it
sour/ then take vinegar and beef broth/ also a
little cloves/ pepper and cinnamon/ all ground
together/ put a little browned flour in it/ and
if you want take among it Seville oranges/ salted
or unsalted lemons/ then cut them nicely wide
over it/
(A sauce for roast mutton)

Indianischen Henn 9. Turkey.  You may also well
make a Gehack (mince) from it/ if it white/ then
take a clear chicken broth/ if it is instead
roasted/ then take a brown broth/ that you have
poured off from a Roast/ with a hen broth/ that
is very lightly salted. When one will dress it on
a table/ then one squeezes sour Seville orange
juice into it/ like this it will be good and
lovely.

Turten 22.  Seville orange tart/ peel and slice
them nicely wide/ and bake it quickly in an oven/
give it warm or cold on a table/ as it is good
and well tasting in both manners.

Zucker 17.   Seville orange peel sugar coated.

Eyngemachten 5. Take a Seville orange peel/ soak
it whole/ or cut it small/ let soak fourteen days
in water and salt/ until the bitterness comes
away/ wash with cold water/ and set to the fire
in another water/ and let boil well/ take it out/
and cool off/ preserve it with clarified sugar/
as one preserves the citron (a previous recipe)/
like this it becomes good and well tasting.

Eyngemachten 13. Seville orange juice let boil
with peach juice/ becomes good and well tasting.

From the menus:

Pike fried and chopped small/ and cooked with a Seville orange juice.
Candied Seville orange peels
Candied whole Seville oranges
A Seville orange salad
Carbonados of salmon/ and Seville orange juice pressed over it.
From dry Seville orange peels also a salad.
A good cold venison leg/ studded with Seville orange
A roasted capon/ studded with Seville orange
A warm veal roast/ studded with Seville orange peel
Ein Kälbern Braten warm/ mit Pomerantzen Schelen gespickt.

Ranvaig