[Sca-cooks] bitter orange recipes

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Mar 27 22:45:34 PDT 2012

On 3/27/2012 12:10 AM, Dan Schneider wrote:
> Hej all,

  > I just got some bitter oranges and I was wondering if anyone had a
recipe using them that they particularly recommend? I've never used
them, and I only have 14 (and some of those are about the size of
clementines) so I can't do a lot of random experimenting to work out
how to best use them...

You might try Naranjiya, from al-Baghdadi--the recipe is in the Miscellany.

We made it a week or so back, using seville oranges from our own
tree--very small tree but bore a surprisingly large number this year. I
thought it was pretty good, although I like mishmishiya (the apricot
equivalent) better.

Sweet oranges only make it to the Mediterranean world late in our
period, so any recipe before about the 15th c. that specifies oranges
is sour oranges.