[Sca-cooks] Suggestions for soft cheese?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Mar 6 09:56:44 PST 2012

>I ran a pound of stinging nettles through the food processor.
>Stinging nettles sting, so I didn't want to chop by hand :-) Then
>put in a pot and add water to cover. Boil then simmer for 20 to 30
>minutes. Let cool. Strain. Strain again. Add salt.

I had bad experiences with nettle when I was a kid, and I have a big
fear of them.  I got my nettle supplier to use gloves and trim the
tops that I wanted to use away from the coarser stuff.  Then I
blanched and drained them.  Then they won't sting any more and I
chopped them finely by hand and added it to the milk as it heated.  I
was doing this in a living history kitchen with no electricity, no
food processor.  It left specks of the nettle in the cheese, but it
looked nice.

But like I said before, it didn't curdle until I added acid (I don't
remember if this batch was vinegar or lemon).  Maybe I didn't leave
it long enough, although as I recall, it was on the fire for two
hours.  Maybe in blanching them I lost what ever it was that does the
curdling.  Someday I should try again.

Ranvaig