[Sca-cooks] handicapped services carts at Pennsic

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Mar 7 19:06:04 PST 2012

At Wed, 7 Mar 2012 02:30:12 -0500, "Terri Morgan" wrote:

(Long and interesting discussion of the problem)

Two points:

1. Would it be workable to provide an additional service and charge for it? I believe in recent years there has been parking available much closer than the main lot, at an additional cost. Is there some practical way of letting people who want to and who have special needs sign up for extra help with transport, at a cost? Or does that violate too many of the social norms surrounding the situation?

2.
> Were I less heavy, I'd be
>investing in one of those cool canes that convert into a seat so I'd know
>that if I had to wait at a bus stop for however long it takes, I'd be able
>to do so without becoming too exhausted. (I did have one, and loved it, but
>ended up giving it to a friend who was in greater need and lesser in girth
>than myself.)

One of my three period portable chair designs, the three legged stool with back, is very light and could probably be made sturdy enough for your purposes by using thicker dowels for the legs than in my version--I'm not sure how much that would increase the weight. If interested, you can find it in the 10th edition Miscellany on my web site:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html

And in response to a comment in a different post:

"And in the way of
things, the campground itself has gotten larger, w hile our instructors for
University (for example) are older than they once were and at the same time,
are able to offer classes that require more than a sheet of paper and paying
attention."

One solution to the problem is having classes in or near the instructor's encampment, since on average the students are younger and more mobile than the teacher and the teacher is more likely to have lots of stuff needed for the class. When I teach my furniture class, I do it in Budgardr, the encampment next to ours, since otherwise I would have to lug a lot of furniture up the hill and back down.

There are obviously advantages to having the University set up the way it is, but an alternative might be to have several smaller "campuses" in separate locations.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/