[Sca-cooks] Peach Butter

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Mar 25 07:50:44 PDT 2012

>just cook them down in a slow cooker.

I had good luck making plum butter in the oven.  Spread it on a half
sheet pan, so its less than an inch thick, and bake at 250 for 2-3
hours, or until it's thick enough.  Stir once or twice.  The color
and flavor was better than the batch in the slow cooker, and it was
easier too.

I used a little sugar, but if your peaches are sweet, I think you
could skip it. You might need a little lemon juice.

Canning without sugar is tricky, since sugar is also a preservative,
but if you find a recipe for artificial sweetener, you should be able
to leave that out and still can it safely.  No sugar spreads won't
keep as long after they are opened either.

Ranvaig