[Sca-cooks] OOP mystery ingredient question

Mary + Doug Piero Carey mary.doug at pierocarey.info
Thu Mar 29 18:09:44 PDT 2012

Hello the list!

My library has rec’d a food question and it is a lulu. What is wax
candy? Yes, we found all the stuff about American Candy Company’s wax
lips & vampire fangs. Also the little wax soda bottles or tubes with
sweet liquids inside. We don’t see how these can be what my patron is
looking for.

The recipe in question (a banana cake) is from the Brimfield Township
Bicentennial Cookbook (1976) and calls for 1.5 cups raisins and 1 cup
wax candy to be dredged in flour so that they don’t sink to the bottom
of the batter. This argues that it must be something smallish. The
recipe warns “Don’t use the black ones”.

None of the local confectionery supply houses or candy makers have come
up with a clue.

We have found a reference in a 1920s newspaper article about maple syrup
making which quotes a man calling “the sugar’s waxin’!” when the sap
reaches the point in the boiling when the children pour in it into the
snow & then wind it around wooden paddles to make a candy. This is also
the point at which it is poured into molds for “maple sugar”. This also
doesn’t seem like it could be what she’s looking for. (Though I suppose
maple & banana could work, flavor-wise.)

Does anyone have an idea what ingredient this recipe is calling for?

We’ll be grateful for any input!

Thanks!

Mary Piero Carey aka Maria of Alderford