[Sca-cooks] Medieval Indian food

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Apr 2 10:14:45 PDT 2013

I have the Nimatnama--it's the other one I was asking about.

On 4/2/13 7:15 AM, JIMCHEVAL at aol.com wrote:
> Curious....
> Here's the Google search for  "nimatnama":
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=nimatnama&rlz=1C1CHMZ_enUS309US310&aq=f&oq=n
> imatnama&aqs=chrome.0.57j60l2j0j62l2.5180j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
>
> The  second link came up for me (in Chrome) copied out of the  email:
> http://presidency-medievalhistoryclub.blogspot.com/2011/08/after-demise-of-i
> mperious-tughlaq.html
That's still the Nimatnama. I was asking about the other cookbook I
thought you said existed.

"'Two Culinary works from Medieval Ujjaini The N’imatnama Manuscript of
the Sultan Ghiyath Shahi of Mandu (1469 AD to 1500 AD) and
Kshemakuthuhalam by Kshema Sarma "

Where do I find the second, or information about it?

> If  it still doesn't for you, you might try searching for part of this:
>
> "The  recipes of Nimatnama are detailed and alluring. Take this one for
> example:
>

> Another recipe for the method of saffron meat: wash the meat  well and,
> having put
> sweet-smelling ghee into a cooking pot, put the meat  into it. When the
> ghee is hot,
> flavour it with saffron, rosewater and  camphor. Mix the meat with the
> saffron to flavour
> it and when it has become  well-marinated, add a quantity of water. Chop
> cardamoms,
> cloves, coriander,  fennel, cinnamon, cassia, cumin and fenugreek, tie them
> up in muslin
> and put  them with the meat. Cook almonds, pine kernels, pistachios, and
> raisins  intamarind syrup and add them to the meat. Put in rosewater, camphor,
> musk and  ambergris and serve it. By the same method cook partridge, quail,
> chicken and  pigeon."
>

> Jim Chevallier
> www.chezjim.com
>
> A History of Coffee and Other  Refreshments in Early Modern France
> by Pierre Le Grand d'Aussy
>
> In a  message dated 4/2/2013 12:10:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> ddfr at daviddfriedman.com writes:
> I'm having no luck trying to follow the  second of those links, or
> googling for the name you gave. Does the date of  your post contain the
> clue?

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/