[Sca-cooks] Nordic Food lab

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Aug 20 17:52:02 PDT 2013

And now for something completely different… http://nordicfoodlab.org/
The Nordic Food Lab is a non-profit, self-governed organisation, established in 2008. Our purpose is to explore the building blocks of Nordic cuisine through traditional and modern gastronomies, and to share these results with chefs, academics, industry, and the public. From a houseboat in Copenhagen harbour, we investigate old and new raw materials and techniques, developing knowledge and ideas for the Nordic region and the world.
Their latest blog entry as on Beer Foraging

Led by Noma master forager Trevor Moran and beer-brewing ethnobiologist Rick Stepp, the team searches the woods for plants that can be used to make beer. They dig, pick, pull up, and taste plants like clove root, chickweed, and pine shoots. (Moran at one point exclaims: "Oh Jesus it's so good!" after eating wood sorrel). They also discuss the history of the European spice trade and how plants can influence their environment to improve their survival, which they explain in further detail on the Nordic Food lab blog.

Johnnae