[Sca-cooks] Carolingian bread images

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Feb 23 00:23:58 PST 2013

We've just touched on the problem of finding early medieval images of bread
 and I mentioned I had found some in capital letters going back to
Carolingian  times. Here now are two others, from what I can make out, of the same
form of  bread, a low disk with what I originally took to be incisions
forming a kind of  inwardly curving square, but now suspect to be the sides of a
larger circle  folded over on four sides. At any rate, similar to each other
and to some of the  other images I've seen from this period.

One is on the table at right in  an image of the Last Supper on a situla
from the 9th century:

Situla (Bucket for Holy Water)