[Sca-cooks] Communion Breads and Wines

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Feb 18 12:33:29 PST 2013

Probably the most famous passage is from St. Thomas of Aquinas, where he
"discusses" (by dialog) whether any flour but wheat should be used and
whether  unleavened bread was preferable:

Summa Theologica: (Part III, Second Section &  Supplement)
By St Thomas Aquinas
_http://books.google.com/books?id=gJvjoO2JGIIC&pg=PA2435&dq=inauthor:%22St+T
homas%22+host+wheat&hl=en&sa=X&ei=F4siUYbdJeOCiwLgs4GoDg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=o
nepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=gJvjoO2JGIIC&pg=PA2435&dq=inauthor:"St+Thomas"+host+wheat&hl=en&sa=X&ei=F4siUYbdJeOCiwLgs4GoDg&ved=0
CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false)

In France, the communion wafer - essentially a small waffle made between
two hot irons and imprinted with religious imagery - not only was the
standard  communion fare, but, in its secularized form, the oublie (wafer), became
one of  the earliest French pastries. This seems to have appeared about
Charlemagne's  time, but was already standard under the Capetians.

_http://books.google.com/books?id=WoBUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1418&dq=oublie+host+whea
t&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gowiUbXnEobtiQKbgIEI&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=oublie%20ho
st%20wheat&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=WoBUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1418&dq=oublie+host+wheat&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gowiUbXnEobtiQKbgIEI&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAQ#v=o
nepage&q=oublie%20host%20wheat&f=false)

The consensus seems to have become that the host should be unleavened,
despite concerns that this was "Judaizing", and all manner of metaphor and
symbolism was thrown about concerning whether fermentation represented
corruption. Here from a later English source:

"its paste must not be of sour dough"
_http://books.google.com/books?id=li51NLvi-b4C&pg=PA76&dq=oublie+host+wheat&
hl=en&sa=X&ei=gowiUbXnEobtiQKbgIEI&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=oublie%20host
%20wheat&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=li51NLvi-b4C&pg=PA76&dq=oublie+host+wheat&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gowiUbXnEobtiQKbgIEI&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepa
ge&q=oublie%20host%20wheat&f=false)

By the eighteenth century, one distinction between Catholics and
Protestants was the use of unleavened or leavened bread for communion.

I've never seen specific recommendations about the wine, even in my light
forays into medieval wine history. By the twelfth century, regional
distinctions  between wines had returned (they seem to have been irrelevant for much
of the  early medieval period, not least because wine didn't travel well
after the  amphora fell out of favor and barrels were still primitive). I
would guess that  it had to be red (representing, as it did, blood) but I don't
know that there  were any other strictures.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime France

In a message dated 2/18/2013 11:49:27 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,