[Sca-cooks] Rude and Barbarous Kingdom

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 16 20:08:56 PST 2013

> New World Turkeys appear in Campi's Fowl seller. I will have to look up
> the
> date but I believe it is mid 1500s.

1590, IIRC.  Vincenzo Campi is 1539-1591.  Most of his work dates from the
latter half of the 16th Century and the Bird Seller is the style of his
later work.

> From an old NPR, in Russia the turkey is called Injushka "bird of India"
> There is a very slim possibility that it is a turkey via India.

Simple confusion about India and the West Indies can explain it.  Given
Rumpolt, I would hazard that the turkey arrived from Germany via Poland.

> The Houbara Bustard is small to medium in size and quite dull in color. It
> is a desert/arid land breeding bird and is not known to wander far from
> their territory. Found in N. Africa, Iran, Saudi Arabia, India, Pakistan,
> China.... I don't know why the list of Russian birds list this one as
> other
> sources do not.

Russia shares habitat with Kazakhstan and China.

Bear