[Sca-cooks] Queens Tea

Gretchen R Beck cmupythia at cmu.edu
Mon Jan 28 12:20:05 PST 2013

OED has:

4.

 a. A meal or social entertainment at which tea is served; esp. an ordinary afternoon or evening meal, at which the usual beverage is tea (but sometimes cocoa, chocolate, coffee, or other substitute). Now usu. a light meal in the late afternoon, but locally in the U.K. (esp. northern), and in Australia and N.Z., a cooked evening meal; in Jamaica, the first meal of the day. high tea, meat tea: see high adj. and n.2 Special uses 2, meat n. Compounds 2 tea and turn-out: see turn-out n. 7b.
1738   Swift Compl. Coll. Genteel Conversat. p. ii,   Whether they meet..at Meals, Tea, or Visits.
1778   F. Burney Evelina I. xxvi. 213,   I was relieved by a summons to tea.
1789   J. Wesley Wks. (1872) IV. 453   At breakfast and at tea, on these two days, I met all the Society.

toodles, margaret