[Sca-cooks] Queens Tea

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Jan 28 12:29:52 PST 2013

That's correct. I was just pointing out tea was appearing in English printed books at that time. First in accounts and then the actual substance arrives before 1615.

OED cited this quotation first under the definition mentioned before, namely, " A meal or social entertainment at which tea is served."

1738   Jonathan Swift A complete collection of genteel and ingenious conversation (Polite conversation) 1731–38 (1738; Wks. 1738 VI) p. ii,   Whether they meet..at Meals, Tea, or Visits.

The article about tea in the 18th century to see might be

http://thehistoricfoodie.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/a-bit-on-tea-in-the-18th-

See also

https://www.lib.umn.edu/bell/tradeproducts/tea

Johnnae