[Sca-cooks] Officially serving modern food at SCA events

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Jan 31 03:09:21 PST 2013

I know it's kind of meta, answering myself, but I had stuff occur to me
after I hit 'send'...

On 1/31/2013 2:47 AM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:
> On 1/31/2013 2:30 AM, Claire Clarke wrote:
>>   [lilinah at earthlink.net]
>> Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:14 PM
>> To: SCA-Cooks
>> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Officially serving modern food at SCA events
>>

>> Even if someone went to an SCA event EVERY SINGLE Saturday in a year,
>> assuming 52 Saturdays, there would still be 313 other days to enjoy
>> modern
>> stuff.
>>
>> *snip*
>>
>> Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)
>> sometimes just a cranky pants
>>

>> I agree with you almost 100% except that caffeine withdrawal is really,
>> really unpleasant (and I don't even drink coffee - just a lot of tea).
>>
>> Angharad
>>
>> _
> :-D
> There's two items of modern food in my camp. One is a small tin of
> cocoa mix, for the most miserable of cold wet nights. (I live in An
> Tir. This is not unusual.) It stays hidden in the box of staples. The
> other is a nicely carved wooden box that I can leave on the table,
> filled with tea bags. I bring my favorite stout British stuff and you
> can't take it from me myy preciousssss! Like my glasses, it is a
> matter of public safety. No one has been murdered in my kitchen. Yet.
>
> (Amalric came pretty darn close though...)
>
> Liutgard, who cooks nicely and wields a BIIIIIIIG war spoon!

Note here: neither item is being served by me at a feast. Come to think
of it, I don't think I've ever been to a feast where modern beverages
were served. There may have been some at a dayboard, but I seldom eat
the dayboard, so I don't know. I would imagine that there would be
caffeine opportunities during the day at a feast, to get a discreet (or
not) caffeine hit.

But my eyebrows would permanently afix themselves somewhat higher than
they are if coffee were served as part of the feast.

In camp, the time span is longer, and I'm a little more lenient,
including on myself, about caffeinated beverages. And when the Laurels
draw the short straw and get the 8 am meeting- or even the 9- I have
been known to drag my sorry, nite-owl carcass over to the meeting with
my teapot tucked under my arm. A friend of mine gifted me with a mug
with a crab painted on it, and my peeps know that if the crabby mug is
still in my hand, it's best not to approach. (And oh, so tempting to
abuse this...)

Liutgard
--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: