[Sca-cooks] Sundays in Lent

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Fri Jul 12 14:17:02 PDT 2013

Fish day:

"A Roman Catholic fast day on which fish were permitted but meat from
animals or birds was forbidden.  On more strict fast days, not even
cheese, eggs, milk, or butter were eaten.  Fast days, and their
strictness, depended upon country and century.  They usually included
the forty days of Lent, Ember Days, various other religious days, and
every Friday throughout the year.  Some people ignored these
restrictions; some people obtained exemptions; some people observed fast
days for medical reasons; and some religious people observed additional
fast days.  Saturday is technically a fish day, though the Popes have
often granted exemptions for many regions of the world.  Wednesday is
also sometimes designated as a fish day, such as in England during the
reign of Queen Elizabeth I."

My words, largely based on Herbermann et al. "Catholic Encyclopedia"
(1907-1913) under "abstinence", online version at:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/

Thorvald