[Sca-cooks] garum, and the the Great Courses food history class

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Mon May 13 15:58:22 PDT 2013

There was some recent discussion of "Albala teaching one of The Great Courses" about food history.

I bought the video version of this course and have been watching it. I was just listening to the one on Greek food and he mentions making garum. Unfortunately, he doesn't go into details. The food recipe he shows in this chapter is a red fish fillet baked in fig leaves.

I like the quickie cooking demos. He shows a few illustrations. That is the one thing I would like to see more of in these class videos, the video shorts and snippets rather than just the lecturer standing there teaching. Some courses seem to have more of these than others. I wish they had more, sort of like a PBS documentary.

Maybe I'm spoiled, like much of the younger generations, in likely multi-media presentations. These can add a lot to presentations and lectures, if they aren't used to simply fill up a simplistic lecture.

Most do have enough charts and such that I'm not sure that buying just the audio portion is a good thing. Or listening to them in a car, when you can't see the video, is good.  Some are only available in audio format and I'm waiting to see how well the one I recently bought (Turning Points in Medieval History, I think) will work in the car.

Also, for those new to these "Great Courses" classes. I wouldn't buy one that isn't on sale. Almost everything goes on sale at least once a year.  It is easy to buy them faster than you can find time to listen to them.

Stefan
======
Mark S. Harris
Electronics Engineer, Board and Systems Design
MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris