[Sca-cooks] Falafel

Stephanie Ross the.red.ross at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 12:44:20 PDT 2013

Found this at
http://www.feastingathome.com/2013/06/falafels-with-home-made-pita-and-creamy.html#more:

"Falafels are basically a bean fritter made from garbanzo beans or fava
beans, originating from Egypt. They were created somewhere around 400AD by
the Copts, the native christians of Egypt, as a replacement for meat,
during Lent. Egyptians have a different name for falafels.... they call
them *taamia. *My dad is a Coptic Egyptian and he remembers his mother
making taamia for him with fava beans rather than garbanzos. Because
falafels are primarily made from beans, they are good cheap source of
protein, and their popularity spread throughout the Middle East. Today they
can be found around the world, in most cities, even Paris, often in the
form of street food."

Have we discussed falafel on this list? How true is the above?

AEschwynne
--
Et si omnes ego non.