[Sca-cooks] Falafel

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Oct 3 14:10:56 PDT 2013

We've kicked around whether "False Isfiriyya (made from chickpeas)"
represents the earliest known variant of falafel, but we have not made any
significant finds on the history oif falafel.

The problem with the statement below is that it is phrased as a fact rather
than a speculation.  It is generally accepted that the falafel originates in
Egypt, possibly as early as Pharonic Egypt, although there is a school of
thought that points to India as the source.  There is a speculation that the
Copts developed falafel as a replacement for meat during Lent.  I know of no
solid evidence to support any of these opinions.  The reference to falafel I
have encountered in English is mid-20th Century, suggesting that the dish
may be of later origin than commonly thought.  The etymology of "falafel" is
in dispute with several possible origins and no particular period for its
adoption in its current usage.

Barring someone finding a reference or description in a period source, we
don't know much about the evolution of the dish and we can not place it
definitively in period.

Bear