[Sca-cooks] Herring in wine sauce

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Sep 1 11:11:46 PDT 2013

Years ago I made pickled whiting for a feast and served it with sour cream.
Probably not period, but it was early in my evolution to historical cooking.

Inman and Arwin were on the throne of Ansteorra and were attending Namron
Protectorate.  When the herring was served, Arwin had some, then asked for
some more and then some more.  On her fourth helping, Baroness Gwenyth
leaned over and said, "you might want to go easy on that, there are two more
courses to come."

Now, I'll have to see if I can find period references to pickled fish and
how it was served.

Bear