[Sca-cooks] MidWinter Feast

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 06:04:25 PDT 2013

Now that we finally found a site for Caer Galen MidWinter we're looking at
getting the food set us.

Our plan is not to have a feast but an all day sideboard.  We've broken the
day up into 4 sections and we're hoping to have a head cook and helpers for
each section.  That way no one group is in the kitchen all day and they can
get out and enjoy the festivities.

The theme is "spices along the Silk Route"

We're either going to move East to West or vis versa and the head cook for
that time slot can choose which country (and which time period for that
matter)  They're not cooking a mini feast - just letting them make "small
bite" items and maybe one main dish since it's not a day of sit down
feasting but it's supposed to allow people to eat when they're hungry and
not save up for dinner.  It'll also let court go on without worrying about
dinner drying out or burning.  I did a Zakuska table when I did the
Russian/Rus feast a few years ago.  People liked it - but I still did a
feast in the evening.

I'll be trying to organize people most of whom have never cooked feast and
some that are enthusiastic but have never even helped in a big kitchen.

I'm getting some pushback on my hope that we could choose more period items
then just letting people make modern recipes from the countries along the
route.

I want to encourage new cooks to get into period cooking and I don't want
to scare them away with - first translate this...

Any suggestions? will be gratefully accepted.  I'm not used to letting
others take charge but I"m trying really hard not to end up in the kitchen
much since I'm the co-autocrat.  I am taking charge of the bread product
and drinks just so that's one less thing the cooks have to worry about.

Oh, and if you'd like to join us:

December 14, 2013, 1st Congregational Church, 1500 9th Ave., Longmont
Colorado