[Sca-cooks] Emmer flour as samidh?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 4 20:27:37 PDT 2013

Yes.  However, when fine wheat flour is called for, the period bolting
process produces a roughly 75% extraction rate.  The average flour from your
grocer's shelves have an extraction rate of roughly 72%.  Flour has a fat
content from the wheat germ.  In one study, modern (probably roller milled)
whole wheat had 2.76% fat content, while 64% extraction flour had 1.40% fat
content.  There is a difference in the fat content of flours produced by
roller milling which removes the germ during the first pass (making a
separate salable product) and stone milling which does not remove the germ
before bolting may alter the fat content of the flour, but I have no data on
the extent of the difference.  Roller milled whole wheat has the germ
returned to the milling and should produce no appreciable difference in fat
content between the two processes.

Unless you are trying to accurately reproduce a flour, such as emmer, durum,
or spelt flour, something like King Arthur's Unbleached White Whole Wheat or
an unbleached all purpose flour should be adequate for most purposes,
although the fat content may be lower than period flours.

Bear