[Sca-cooks] MidWinter Feast

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Sep 8 16:23:18 PDT 2013

As a librarian, I would think that novices or  inexperienced cooks
might be hard pressed to find "period" sources.
Are you providing a reading list ?

Traditional cuisine can be found. I mean libraries might possibly have copies of Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China by Alford and Duguid. It was an award winner and right now you can download it on a kindle
for only $2.99. Another kindle volume might be The Silk Road Gourmet by Laura Kelley. (http://www.silkroadgourmet.com/ )

Najmieh Batmanglij has Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey with widely varying prices.
(http://www.najmiehskitchen.com/) There are a number of Persian cookbooks, several again by Batmanglij and Mage Press.

But how many public or academic libraries have perhaps the classic period source A Soup for the Qan at hand? Interlibrary loan takes time and that volume takes some careful study.

Libraries might possibly also own works like The Silk Road Journey with Xuanzang. That work tells the saga of the seventh-century Chinese monk Xuanzang, of China who completed an epic sixteen-year-long journey to discover the heart of Buddhism at its source in India.
It focuses on the origins of Buddhism and less about the foods or cookery. There are a number on Marco Polo of course.

Johnnae