[Sca-cooks] Broken brawn recipe?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 11 10:42:03 PDT 2013

On Sep 11, 2013, at 1:16 PM, Alexander Clark wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 18:03:25 -0400, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:
>> How did I know you could read the original? Bold guess ?!? The handwriting is a chore but the enlargement feature helps. Can you imagine how many years of her life Constance Hieatt spent reading manuscripts like these?(This is why I prefer printed books myself. Easier on the eyes.)
>>
>> I have placed Hieatt's version under yours if there are differences.
>
> And there are indeed differences. Did Hieatt have another source for
> the recipe to collate with this one?

Actually she did have other source manuscripts that she ran comparisons against.
Part of it also  lies in how this scribe abbreviated words I think.
It's all part of the footnotes and introductory material.

There's no time before your feast but the thing to do would be to run this recipe against
and compare it to other versions of the same recipe.

Our Concordance for English Recipes also lists a Brawne Ryall in Pynson's volume of 1500.

Johnnae