[Sca-cooks] MidWinter Feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 11 20:38:50 PDT 2013

India is on the Silk Road.  The term Silk Road was introduced around 1877 by
Friedrich von Richthofen to encompass the idea of the East-West trade
without regard of what was transported and of the actual routes.  If you are
hung up on real silk, silk was produced in India (as it has been since at
least 2,500 BCE) and was traded over the route.

If you want to add India to your Silk Road adventure, there is a branch that
separates at Merv runs southwest to Bactra (Persian Afghani) then over the
Pamirs to Kashgar.  From Bactra, there is a branch that runs over the Hindu
Kush into the Dehli Sultanate (Turkic/Pashto Pakistani) and into the
Vijayanagara Empire (Hindu Indian) and India in general.  The Sultanate is
responsible for keeping the Mongols out of the Indian sub-continent.

Bear