[Sca-cooks] Murri Question

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Sep 30 16:56:33 PDT 2013

We've discussed murri several times and several of those posts can be found
by searching the archives at

http://lists.ansteorra.org/mmsearch.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org

TH Uratatim wrote back in 2007 that she "got a hold of the text of Perry's murri-making articles and have
used his conclusion as a reason to use mild soy sauce in some 14th C.
Mamluk-period recipes in Cairene "The Book of the Description of
Familiar Foods"."
Searching under "murri substitute" turns up this recipe
A substitute for murri naqi, the medieval Arabic fermented barley paste. Recipe courtesy of Duke Cariadoc of the Mists, mka David Friedman. Total Time: 4 hrs 20 mins

http://www.food.com/recipe/murri-naqi-substitute-340253

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/murri-naqi-substitute-ru340253.html which fails to credit His Grace.

Or there's the Florilegium

http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/murri-msg.html