[Sca-cooks] "The Best Stews in the World"

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 09:31:41 PDT 2014

Having looked a bit further at one of the sources I found in researching
"cansalada", I realized it includes at least one other period dish:

The  Best Stews in the World: 300 Satisfying One-Dish Dinners, from Chilis
and Gumbos  to Curries and Cassoulet
Clifford Wright
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt,  2012

_http://books.google.com/books?id=77CvEgNk4xoC&lpg=PA87&dq=Cansalada%20would
%20have%20been%20salted%2C%20dried%20preserved%20beef%2C&pg=PA88#v=onepage&q
&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=77CvEgNk4xoC&lpg=PA87&dq=Cansalada%20would%20have%20been%20salted,%20dried%20preserved%20beef,&pg=PA88#v=one
page&q&f=false)

Plus  references to older versions of some of the others.

Opinions may vary on accuracy; I would certainly like to know Wright's
basis for saying "cansalada" was dried beef (not saying it wasn't at one point,
 just that I have seen no other evidence to that effect). Still some of the
 recipes here might be of interest.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Stumbling through history towards  beer