[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi Translation

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 14:02:51 PDT 2014

Susan Lord Williams <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. As far as I can see Santanach did not translate the text into Castellano. He  published a Catalan text which Vogelzang translated into English.

Your problem is still with Santanach. He worked with the original manuscript. All Vogelzang did was translate Santanach into English, and you have been "blaming" Vogelzang for Santanach's work.

> 2. Santanach's text does not with Grewe's text as I pointed out previously.

There are three related manuscripts:

1. Biblioteca Universitaria, Valencia. MS 202. Dated early-mid 15th century.

2. Biblioteca Universitaria, Barcelona. MS 68. Dated second half 15th century. [Edited by Grewe and Faraudo de Saint-Germain.]

3. Biblioteca de Cataluna, Barcelona. MS 2112
First part of Ms. 2112 is the text known as "De Apereylar be de Menyar" [14th c.], which contains roughly 167 recipes.
Second part of Ms. 2112 is another version of "Libre de Sent Sovi" which may actually be earlier than the two previous mss. of "Sent Sovi".

Biblioteca Universitaria, Barcelona, MS. 68 of "Libre de Sent Sovi" also contains recipes from "De Apereylar". There appears to have been a long association between the two recipe collections. The work is dated as the end of the 14th century or early 15th century. "De Apereylar..." remains unpublished, but is described by Scully on pages 22-23 of "The Neapolitan Recipe Collection".

Thanks to Johnna for her research, as published in "The Gauntlet", 2012, first quarter.

Grewe published his work on Barcelona Ms. 68. I don't know which ms. Santanach used, and i don't have the book with me where i am today to check. I do know that he carefully explains his process in the introduction of his book. If each translator used a different manuscript, or if any of them worked to compare recipes from different manuscripts, then it wouldn't be a big surprise if they do not agree.

> 3. There is no Castillean translation of Sent Sovi as far as I know.

Sorry, i can't help that. Is Santanach's Catalan version available? It can't be all that hard to understand some of the material with the help of a good dictionary and even google translate, as imperfect as it is.

Urtatim