[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi Translation

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Apr 15 14:09:26 PDT 2014

I understand. I still doubt it's that straightforward.

Take "carnsalada". Very literally it means "salted meat", In context, it's
used virtually as bacon is in other medieval texts and is even referred to
as  "lean" or "fat". Should one then translate it as "bacon"?

It helps to do at least a little research on the term (which mainly occurs
in old Catalan and Provencal documents), by which one finds that it is now
referred to as "cansalada" and is a form of salted pork fatback:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2CNNBrzheFkC&lpg=PA60&dq=carnsalada&
pg=PA60#v=onepage&q&f=false

So: "fatback"? "thick bacon"? "salted meat"? It's best to go beyond the
dictionary and Google Translate in deciding which. Given that it's a regional
specialty, an English speaker might even argue for leaving it untranslated
and  explaining it separately. Yet at the same time anyone familiar with
Medieval  cookbooks will recognize it as being used in essentially the same way
as bacon,  and that awareness too should feed into the translation.

On another note, I haven't yet encountered anything that can clearly be
recognized as "verjuice", which is striking. The same function seems to be
filled by things like orange or lemon juice or pomegranate wine. (Recalling an
 earlier discussion on this list.)

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Beyond the peacocks:  what most Medieval eaters actually ate
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-peacocks-what-most-medieval.html

In a message dated 4/15/2014 12:54:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,