[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi Translation

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Apr 15 19:04:38 PDT 2014

Not a thing.  "Cansalada" is cuts from the back, belly or side of the hog
which are then packed in salt.  The same cuts are used to make bacon, but
bacon is usually brined (rather than packed in salt) to produce "green
bacon" then commonly boiled or smoked to produce the final product.  Even if
left as "green bacon" the brining process for bacon in the U.S. contains
preservatives other than salt.  Thus the closest American English definition
to the Catalan usage is salt pork.

Bear

On 16/04/2014 9:09 a.m., JIMCHEVAL at aol.com wrote:
> I understand. I still doubt it's that straightforward.
>   Take "carnsalada". Very literally it means "salted meat", In context,
> it's
> used virtually as bacon is in other medieval texts and is even referred to
> as  "lean" or "fat". Should one then translate it as "bacon"?
>   It helps to do at least a little research on the term (which mainly
> occurs
> in old Catalan and Provencal documents), by which one finds that it is now
> referred to as "cansalada" and is a form of salted pork fatback:

So, what's wrong with "salt pork"?

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo