[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi Translation

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 09:27:21 PDT 2014

> But the important thing isn't the exact translation choice which, as you
> can  see  above, different writers make differently. It's having some idea
> of what the  word means in its cultural context. Simply translating it  as
> "salted meat"  doesn't really give a sense of  that.

Yes, this is an important point. My approach is to try to stay as close to
the original phrasing and usage, being consistent in what a particular term
or phrase is translated to, and to provide notes as to what was actually
meant (in as much as I have any idea). Translation is not simply about
exchanging one set of words for another, it is about conveying meaning.
Without context, you may end up with a misleading work or, possibly, a
rendition that contradicts the original.

- Guillaume