[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Feb 17 09:17:45 PST 2014

It looks like the French might be the only ones NOT to use it as a sauce.
Taillevent has one recipe for instance which uses jance sauce, after which
one  is to eat the dish with mustard.

The Menagier calls it a "sauce", but has  it prepared to "keep a long time".

_http://books.google.com/books?id=DRFRAAAAcAAJ&dq=intitle%3Amenagier%20raifo
rt&pg=PA229#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=DRFRAAAAcAAJ&dq=intitle:menagier%20raifort&pg=PA229#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Personally, I would consider anything kept on hand for general use a
condiment, as opposed to a sauce made for use in a specific dish. Either way,
mustard is in a special class, going as it does back to the Romans. Still,
yes,  it certainly is a culinary survival. I think what we eat today probably
owes  more to the eighteenth century version (Le Grand d'Aussy actually knew
Maille  and consulted him on the subject). But the instruction here to use
the same  spices one would use for hypocras is not too far from that.

Horseradish was hardly unknown in France in general; it was one of  the
substances recommended for monks' drinks (probably for medicinal purposes).
But the only reference in a recipe appears to be an ambivalent one in the
Menagier:

_http://books.google.com/books?id=DRFRAAAAcAAJ&dq=intitle%3Amenagier%20raifo
rt&pg=PA246#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=DRFRAAAAcAAJ&dq=intitle:menagier%20raifort&pg=PA246#v=onepage&q&f=false)

The  word isn't quite right, but the text seems to be describing it. But
even here,  the objective seems to be to create a condiment to keep on hand.

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort of a food history  blog
leslefts.blogspot.com

In a message dated 2/17/2014 8:51:55 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,