[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue Feb 18 15:19:11 PST 2014

That particular one I have not heard of, though it makes sense.  At some
big feasts (see Chiquart) those of the guests with particular dietary
requirements or restrictions had their own cooks, who would cook for
their tastes/allergies/humours.

On the other hand, many cookbooks (e.g. Curye, Viandier, Menagier,
Ouverture) show no direct sign of awareness of humours, other than, in
some cases, having "dishes for invalids".

I would be interested if anyone has studied when active dietary
adjustment for humours was a) very common b) occasional c) absent.  Did
cooks like Taillevent [c. 1395] respond to a physician coming and saying
"For Pierre we need hot and dry"?  Did Taillevent always cook a
'complete' range of choices?  Did Taillevent add special dishes for
specific guests?  Did Pierre's cook show up and use a secondary kitchen
to prepare some dishes?  Did Pierre know which foods to eat and which to
avoid, and make his own choices?  Did Pierre bring a couple of private
dishes for that purpose?  Did Pierre's physician show up and vet the
dishes?  Did Pierre and his physician ignore all of that at other
people's feasts, unless Pierre was actually ill?  And when did Pierre
and his physician stop paying attention to humours, whether for general
diet or for specific diseases?

Thorvald